Healthier and natural sugar alternatives to indulge in your sweet tooth
We’ve all heard that too much highly processed, refined sugar can have devastating effects on your metabolism and contribute to all sorts of diseases. This is no joke…here’s why:
- Sugar equals tons of calories with no essential nutrients. All it does is cause tooth decay by literally feeding harmful bacteria in your mouth!
- If you eat high quantities of refined, processed sugar but do no exercise you are at risk, for the fructose derived from an excess of sugar, to get lodged in your liver and cause non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.
- When you consume too much sugar, it can cause resistance to the hormone insulin, which can lead to diseases like metabolic syndrome, obesity, cardiovascular disease and type II diabetes.
- An excess amount of sugar can have a devastating effect on your metabolism, which is now known to lead to cancer.
- Sugar is highly addictive because after ingestion it causes a huge release of dopamine in your brain.
(when consumed in moderation) that won’t damage your health as much and taste just as sweet, if not more!
- Sugar is a major contributor to heart disease, which is the number one killer in the world.
But what many people don’t realize is that there are healthier, alternative sweeteners out there.
So what are some of these higher quality sweetener alternatives (when eaten in moderation) to processed sugar?
1. Stevia—a plant used by the Guarani people of South America for more than 1500 years:
- Tastes about 300 times sweeter than table sugar
- No calories, no impact on blood sugar and may reduce blood pressure
- Make sure to buy only 100% whole leaf stevia… look for RebA
2. Honey—bees, bees, bees:
- Slightly sweeter than table sugar
- Buy raw, local and organic honey
- Can help boost immune system and seasonal allergies and sooth sore throats
3. Maple syrup—made from the sap of sugar, red or black maple trees:
- About 3 times sweeter than table sugar
- Buy organic pure grade B maple syrup
- Lower fructose content than table sugar but don’t be fooled it’s still sugar
4. Coconut palm sugar—from the sap of cut flower buds of the coconut palm:
- Same sweetness as table sugar
- Look for labels that say coconut sugar, coconut crystals or coconut palm sugar
- Has a low glycemic index and contains some nutrients and fiber
What do I do now?
If you’re unhappily addicted to processed sugar and want to make a change that will greatly benefit your health, then click here now to schedule a time to talk with me about the next steps you can take.
I am here to help you make a plan to reduce or eliminate processed sugar in your diet and substitute with alternative sweeteners that will completely change your life!